On February 11, 2015, Congressman Earl Blumenauer sent his constituents an open letter about his coming plan to undermine America’s 2nd Amendment rights. While I have paraphrased, I believe I am accurately recounting his 12 fundamental reasons America needs further restrictions on gun ownership.
- People do not kill people, guns kill people. Enough is enough! Murders and suicides committed with guns would never happen if it were not for those damn guns. Just look at all the countries around the world where citizens do not have the right to bear arms. They are happy and safe!
- In the last 20 years American gun ownership has risen 50% while America’s murder rate has dropped 50%. Enough is enough! Guns are the problem!
- Self-strangulation – suicide by hanging – is by far the most popular and effective method of suicide for the rest of world. Why not in America? Enough is enough! Now that marijuana is legal, let’s make more rope!
- Guns account for 0.043% (548 of 127,792) of accidental deaths in the United States in 2012. Enough is enough! 548 “accidents” for 300,000,000 guns is just too much! Guns are much worse than automobiles and tobacco when it comes to safety! You have never heard of tobaccular homicide or tobaccular suicide, have you? No you haven’t! Therefore guns are bad!
- The sum total of all gun deaths (suicide, murder, accidental) does not make America’s Top 10 leading causes of death. Enough is enough! Guns are not a leading cause of death in America, and I look like a total idiot for publicly saying they are!
- The NRA is preventing Federal, State, and local law enforcement agencies from enforcing current laws. How they physically stop the D.C. police remains a mystery, but D.C. has the highest murder rate and lowest gun ownership rate in America. It is a vast, right-wing conspiracy to embarrass D.C. politicians for making it illegal to carry empty brass shell casings in the District of Columbia, and the NRA is behind it all. Enough is enough! We need more laws and restrictions so that current laws can finally be enforced. Get the NRA out of politics!
- A father should never be able to pass an heirloom firearm down to his son without first doing a criminal background check. Enough is enough! My dad took me fishing, and that was good enough for me! Beat that rifle into a plowshare and go tie flies!
- If we close the “private sale loophole,” criminals will stop illegally selling guns to other criminals. Enough is enough! My proposed legislation will, for the first time in American history, make it illegal for criminals to break the law! Especially those crazy, right-wing, extremist D.C. politicians who defend the Constitution and still believe in the Balance of Powers therein!
- As a society, we have decided to let the mentally ill roam free and unchecked, and they account for over 60% of total gun-related deaths. That is 25% of Americans responsible for 60% of gun deaths. Enough is enough! Get rid of guns so the mentally ill can remain free-range!
- Of America’s 15 major trading partners, only 5 have a combined suicide/violent death rate worse than America’s. Enough is enough! If we cannot beat the pants off all of our trading partners when it comes to violence and suicide, we do not deserve to be the globe’s #1 economic power!
- Of 192 countries around the world, America ranks 92 for its violent death rate at 6.5 violent deaths per 100,000 in population. For 2014,Guatemala was #1 with 74.9 deaths per 100,000. Bahrain was #192 with no violent deaths per capita. Enough is enough! America is the greatest country on Earth and we need to have a zero violence rate, just like Bahrain and the Roman Catholic Holy See!
- Some guns, like fully automatic weapons, heavy artillery, tanks, missiles and bombs, are just not safe for public spaces. Enough is enough! We need to get military grade weaponry out of our schools and malls. Weapons like semi-automatic 22LR squirrel guns.
My fellow Americans, guns are the problem, not violence. Guns are the problem, not suicide. Rape, domestic abuse, child abuse, sex-slavery, beatings, muggings, drug addiction and stabbings all pale when compared to the problems America suffers because of its 300,000,000 lawfully, responsibly, privately owned guns.
Please see Congressman Blumenauer’s plan to curb the evilry of guns by clicking this link.
IF YOU ARE: for Recreational Marijuana, against Fiscal Responsibility, against Constitutional Freedoms, and against Government Accountability, THEN Vote for Earl Blumenauer.